Two dozen beds have been found for NDIS patients stuck in South Australian hospitals, as the state government continues efforts to ease the pressure caused by the latest wave of COVID-19 infections.
The 24-bed Regency Green site, to open next week, will still leave more than 100 NDIS clients in hospital, ready to be discharged.
A further 57 long-stay NDIS patients were moved to alternative care facilities over recent weeks.
Health Minister Chris Picton said Regency Green, which was backed with $1.2 million in government support, was another step to free up hospitals, reduce pressure on emergency departments and improve patient capacity and flow.
"We know there are still more than a hundred NDIS patients ready for discharge but with nowhere to go," he said.
"Providing a service like this will make a big difference to those previously frustrated they may not be able to access support outside of hospital."
Regency Green will provide transitional care to NDIS patients with a psycho-social disability while they receive mental health support in a comfortable and safe environment.
Residents will receive personalised care to regain independence and re-connect with their family, friends and community before moving into longer-term arrangements.
Work was also continuing to find more beds in the private sector for aged care patients stuck in hospitals.
The government said 230 had been moved into aged care facilities since July 20, freeing up beds for those needing acute care.
SA is now considered to be over the peak in the latest wave of coronavirus cases, sparked by the arrival of the BA.4 and BA.5 Omicron variants.
SA Health reported 2421 new cases on Friday, down from the most recent daily high of 5054 on July 21.
Hospital admissions were also down to 316 from a previous high of 384 on July 25.
Australian Associated Press
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.