South Australia is dealing with a possible new case of coronavirus, a person with a history of overseas travel, with health officials calling for a further test.
Health Minister Stephen Wade has been briefed on the situation and the person involved is now in isolation.
Mr Wade says he's not aware of any wider public health risk but has declined to give more details.
The first test on the individual was inconclusive with the result of the second test not expected until at least Thursday.
"I'm not going to go into clinical details of a case and this one is only a possible case," Mr Wade said.
"Throughout this pandemic, we've had a number of situations where a possible case has emerged and we've waited for clarification.
"As soon as there is confirmation of a case, SA Health advises in a well-established pattern.
"I'll certainly leave it to SA Health. This case may or may not be confirmed."
SA Health said the inconclusive result on the initial test might be indication of an old infection.
"The person will remain in isolation until the results of further tests are clear," the department said.
SA recorded its last new case of COVID-19 more than two weeks ago and has no active infections.
The state has so far recorded 443 cases of the disease with most linked to overseas or international travel.
The possible new case came amid increasing testing in SA on Tuesday with 2499 people swabbed.
That takes the total number of tests conducted during the pandemic to 178,869.
SA Health has also begun sending text messages to people entering the state from Victoria after the recent hard border closure, to make clear their obligations to get tested.
Local residents returning can still enter SA but are being required to get tested for COVID-19 within 24 hours and again on day 12 of their 14-day quarantine.
Essential travellers entering SA from Victoria only need to get tested if they develop symptoms.
Australian Associated Press